If you’ve ever accidentally locked yourself out of your car, you know the immediate panic that comes along with it. This worrying feeling is only heightened if you’re running late and need to get into your car as soon as possible. Luckily, there’s something you can do to avoid the awful feeling associated with auto lockouts in Des Moines, IA. Follow these tips and tricks, and you’ll never have to worry about locking yourself out again:
- Develop good habits: The easiest way to avoid auto lockouts in Des Moines, IA is to practice good habits! Double and even triple check that you have your keys before you lock your car door. As soon as you remove your key from the ignition, hold the key in your hand, put it in your pocket or place it in your purse. You might also want to consider buying a brightly colored keychain or lanyard. If you do happen to accidentally leave your keys in your car, a brightly colored item will help catch your eye and remind you to pick them up before you shut the door!
- Replace your key fob battery: Most keys nowadays have a fob that’ll let you lock and unlock your door with the touch of a button. Fobs drastically reduce the chance that you’ll accidentally lock yourself out of your vehicle; there’s no doubt that they’re handy devices. The only problem is that key fobs run on batteries, which will eventually run out of juice. When fobs run out of battery power, you’ll have to start manually locking and unlocking your car door. When that happens, chances of a lockout will increase. Make sure that doesn’t happen by making a habit of replacing your batteries on a regular basis. Consult your car dealer if you’re not sure how often your batteries need to be replaced.
- Make a spare: The benefits of a spare key can’t be understated. If you have a spare, you don’t have to worry about locking yourself out of your vehicle! If you have an older car that doesn’t have a key fob, you can have your key made at a hardware store. Keys with fobs will need to be duplicated at your car dealership.
- Keep keys in multiple locations: Having a spare key is great, but a spare won’t help you out if you don’t have easy access to it. Keeping a spare key in your office desk and at home is a great idea. You can also buy a magnetic box and keep a spare on the underside of your vehicle. With tons of spare keys around, you’ll never be locked out again!
- Have a locksmith’s number handy: If none of the strategies above work and you still get locked out, you’ll have to pick up the phone and give a locksmith a call. A professional locksmith can quickly unlock your vehicle to get you back on the road in no time at all.
Trust the pros at Ian’s Lock And Key the next time you need your car or home unlocked. We have years of industry experience, so you know you can trust us—no more need to worry about auto lockouts in Des Moines, IA!
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by admin